4-6 small to medium size beets
8oz feta cheese
(more or less to taste)
1 cup roasted pecans or walnuts
1 cup small orange slices
1 cup thinly sliced red onions
4 to 6 handfuls of salad greens
1. Either roast the beets in the oven or steam them on top of the stove.
2. To roast the beets, wash and scrub the beets but do not peel them. Bake in the oven as you would a potato at 400o. They take from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on their size.
3. To steam the beets, place washed and scrubbed beets (unpeeled) in a steamer, cover and steam about 25-40 minutes depending on size.
4. Beets will be much easier to peel after they have cooked, remember the color will bleed onto your hands and anything else they touch.
5. Quarter the beets and set aside.
6. Layer the ingredients on a bed of salad greens, either on a large platter or on separate salad plates.
Many types of vinaigrettes will be tasty on this salad. I like to toss the cooked beets with balsamic vinaigrette:
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine vinegar with a little salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in oil slowly, tasting for desired consistency.
2. Add seasonings to taste.
6. Another option: add 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard in the beginning with the balsamic vinegar and seasonings then whisk in the oil. The Dijon will give the dressing a thicker consistency.
Other dressings that would work well: orange vinaigrette, walnut oil vinaigrette, or any herbal vinaigrette.